Ready to try something a little different for your summer picnics? How about a potato salad recipe without mayo? This recipe for Italian-style potato salad is delicious, colorful and healthier than many other picnic favorites.
Let’s face it: Picnic fun-in-the-sun means a day filled with everyone’s favorite party dishes. Potato salad qualifies as a favorite. But this year, serve one that’s just a bit different. The colorful (and healthy) Swiss chard adds some vibrancy and the vinegar and oil take the place of mayo to complement the salad perfectly!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Italian-style potato salad
- 4 large yellow potatoes
- 1 small bunch Swiss chard
- 1/2 cup white onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/8 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/8 cup light olive oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- First wash and cut the potatoes, leaving the skins on, into two-to-three-inch chunks. Toss them into a large pot of boiling, salted water (enough to cover the potatoes) and cook until tender, but still firm. When finished cooking, drain the water and set the potatoes aside.
- Wash and tear the Swiss chard (including stem) into large pieces.
- Blanch the Swiss chard for about three to four minutes, then drain.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, Swiss chard and onion. In a smaller bowl, mix together the garlic, vinegar and oil, and red pepper flakes. Pour the dressing over the potato mixture and gently toss. Add salt to taste.
- Refrigerate until chilled and serve.
Try this healthy twist on traditional potato salad!