No need to let your eggs go to waste in the refrigerator. This quick baked egg recipe uses up your eggs and flavors them with garlic, tomatoes and spinach.
There is nothing more simple than baked eggs. They cook up fast, and you can add whatever fillings you desire. This time we took farm fresh eggs and paired them with summer tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs and garlic. The best part about this dish is that you can be done in less than 20 minutes from start to finish!
Simple baked egg recipe
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 small chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add two tablespoons heavy cream into two large gratin dishes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add a drizzle of olive oil, tomatoes, spinach and garlic. Cook over medium heat until the basil and tomatoes are soft, about five minutes.
- Split the tomato/spinach/garlic mixture equally between the two gratin dishes. Add three eggs (I find it easiest to crack the eggs into a separate dish to ensure the yolks stay whole.). Add salt and pepper (to taste) and sprinkle each dish with one-quarter cup Parmesan cheese.
- Put gratin dishes on a baking sheet and place under broiler for six minutes, until the whites of the eggs are almost cooked. If the eggs are not cooking evenly make sure to rotate the pan. The eggs will continue to cook in the hot dish after being taken out of the oven, but if you want your eggs more firm, leave in for one or two minutes longer. Let eggs rest for one minute before serving.