This Smothered Chicken Makes for a Quick, Healthy Weeknight Dinner
It's the age-old conundrum: What the heck are we going to make for dinner tonight? Chicken is obviously a healthy go-to standard, but it can get boring really quickly if you don't change things up.
That being said, with the right recipes, it's still totally possible to have chicken be the star every night. This smothered chicken dish is packed with grilled chicken, sautéed veggies, mozzarella cheese and tons of flavor. It's also super-simple to put together, so it makes for a great weeknight dinner when you don't want to spend a ton of time cooking.
We went light on the cheese to keep the dish healthier — but don't think the flavor is anything but big!
Smothered chicken recipe
- 4 grilled boneless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup sliced white mushrooms
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in pan and add green peppers, mushrooms and onions. Saute until soft and then add garlic, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.
- In an 8 x 8-inch pan add the grilled chicken. Cover chicken evenly with Dijon mustard.
- Take warm vegetables and top chicken. Cover vegetables and chicken with mozzarella cheese.
- Cook in the oven until the cheese is melted, approximately 10 minutes.
Originally published July 2012. Updated May 2017.