Wow your guests at your Fourth of July barbecue with these amazing little treats. Red, white and blue layered cakes are served in jars making them fun, portable and a unique way to celebrate.
What’s more fun than eating a cupcake? How about a cupcake in a jar! These little treats are a wonderful way to transport desserts to a picnic, a pool party or just for traveling. Each jar is layered with a red and blue cupcake with fluffy buttercream icing in between. Impress your friends with these easy-to-do cupcakes in a jar.
Firecracker cupcakes in a jar recipe
Yields 10-12 cupcakes
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 bottle red food coloring
- 1 bottle blue coloring
- 2 containers white frosting
- 10 to 12 small jars with lids, washed and dried
- Red, white and blue sprinkles
- Cupcake pan
- Cupcake liners
- Prepare the cake batter as directed on the box. Once mixed, separate the batter into two separate bowls trying to get equal amounts of the batter into each bowl.
- In one bowl, add the red food coloring, and in the second bowl, add the blue. Each brand of food coloring seems to vary as far as color saturation goes, so use the amount of food coloring you feel necessary to achieve the desired shades of red and blue.
- Once both batters are colored, line the cupcake pan with the cupcake liners and fill with the two cake batters (make solid color cakes do not mix the colors) and bake as directed on the package. (Try to bake equal numbers of red and blue cupcakes.)
- Once the cupcakes are done baking, set on the counter and allow to cool completely.
- When cool remove the cupcakes from the pan and remove the cupcake liner. Slice each cupcake in half (so you have a top and a bottom). Do this for the all of the remaining cupcakes.
- In a jar, add one of the cupcake bottoms to the jar (you can do all red, all blue or alternate between the two colors) add some of the frosting and then add the top of the cupcake. Top it off with more frosting and sprinkles. Repeat this method for all of the remaining cupcakes.