You can brush glazes and marinades on your grilling ingredients, but a great way to add flavor from the inside out is to infuse wooden skewers with flavor before using them in your recipe. Infused skewers can be used to enhance the flavor of raw ingredients like fruits, grilled meats and vegetables.
There are all kinds of liquids that can be used to infuse skewers, but for really unique flavor combinations consider using your favorite Bacardi classic cocktails as the infusing liquid. The cocktails will add a pop of flavor to grilled chicken and fish or a skewer of ripe summer fruit. Be sure to allow the ingredients to be on the skewers for about two hours before serving to give the flavor time to be absorbed.
How to make infused skewers
- Wooden skewers
- 1/2 cup of your favorite classic cocktail flavor
- 2 tablespoons of safflower or other light oil
- Pinch of ancho, garlic or other seasoning as desired
- Rinse the skewers and put them in a rectangular baking dish.
- Mix the cocktail, oil and seasonings, and pour over the skewers.
- Cover and soak overnight or at least two hours.
- Drain the skewer thoroughly.
- Thread your ingredients on the skewer and grill as directed in your recipe.
It can be a little unnerving to combine the classic cocktails with your protein course at first. After all, does mojito really complement pork? Be confident and remember that the infused skewers will give off a delicate flavor, not an overwhelming one.
Pina Colada will add a mellow, tropical flavor to a variety of ingredients.
- Mahi mahi
Mojito has a fresh, sharp flavor from the mint and lime. It is delicious with any of the following ingredients:
- Firm-fleshed fish
Strawberry daiquiri has a fresh, fruity flavor that brings sweetness to almost anything.
For a quick dessert, alternate strawberries and cubes of angel food cake on the strawberry infused skewers.
Strawberry daiquiri shrimp skewer appetizer
Yields 12 appetizers
While this recipe chills in the refrigerator, the flavor from the skewers seeps into the ingredients. This flavor is intensified by a fresh dipping sauce made with the strawberry daiquiri. If you will be serving to the under-21 crowd, you can bring the daiquiri to a boil and then let it cool before using it. The alcohol will dissipate.
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and cooked
- 1 cup peeled cucumber, diced
- 1 cup onion, cut in large chunks to fit on the skewer
- 1/2 pound strawberries, stemmed
- 12 wooden skewers, marinated in Bacardi Classic Cocktails Strawberry Daiquiri
- 1/4 cup strawberry daiquiri
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapenos, optional
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Place the shrimp, onion, cucumber and strawberries on the skewers attractively.
- Refrigerate, covered, for up to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, mix the ingredients for the sauce, cover and refrigerate.
- Serve the skewers with the dipping sauce.
- Don’t be afraid to try new flavor combinations. If something doesn’t work, then just try it again with another flavor.
- Brush the ingredients with olive oil before placing on the grill.
- When you are going to be grilling shrimp, thread the shrimp onto two parallel skewers. This will keep the shrimp from rotating as you grill.
- Don’t reuse the skewers. It may be great for the environment, but it can be terrible for your health.
- Separate ingredients that cook quickly from those that take a bit longer. Add the quick cooking foods carefully to the skewer when the rest of the ingredients are almost done.