Summer entertaining: Grilled chipotle shrimp and roasted pepper pizza
Succulent smoky-flavored shrimp, sweet roasted peppers and goat cheese turn the ordinary homemade pizza into a go-to gourmet meal for your summer entertaining.
Grilled chipotle shrimp and roasted pepper pizza
Chipotle peppers in adobo sauce are available in cans in the Mexican section of most supermarkets. Freeze the extra in ice cube trays so you can easily pop them out when you need them for future recipes calling for chipotles in adobo sauce.
- 3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 red onion, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest
- Juice of 1 lime
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 pound prepared pizza dough, at room temperature
- 1 cup roasted red peppers from a jar, drained, chopped
- 3/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat a pizza stone on a grill at medium, indirect heat for 30 to 40 minutes. Dust a pizza peel with flour and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together shrimp, onion, olive oil, chipotle, lime zest and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place shrimp and onion mixture in a grill basket and grill for five minutes over direct heat, turning every minute or two, until shrimp is cooked through. Set aside.
- Roll the pizza dough into a 14-inch circle and place it on the pizza peel. Slide dough onto the preheated pizza stone and close grill lid. Cook for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Use the pizza peel to transfer pizza crust onto a wire rack to cool slightly.
- Brush crust with olive oil and top with shrimp and onion mixture, red peppers and goat cheese.
- Use the pizza peel to slide pizza onto the pizza stone. Close grill lid and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until goat cheese is melted and toppings are lightly browned.
- Transfer pizza to a cutting board using the pizza peel and sprinkle pizza with cilantro.
- Slice and serve hot.