Gluten-free goodie of the week: Cantaloupe-lemon shake
Who doesn't love a good milkshake, even better as the temperatures are climbing higher each day. Fresh fruit in a milkshake? Yes please! This cantaloupe-lemon shake recipe will shake things up a bit.
There’s a new cookbook out, Thoroughly Modern Milkshakes, fit for summer. It's filled with — you guessed it — delightful, creamy, frosty recipes for all different sorts of milkshakes, many that are perfect for people who live a gluten-free lifestyle.
Adam Ried is a Boston Globe Magazine columnist and one of the stars of PBS's America's Test Kitchen. In his book, he brings traditional milkshake varieties "up to speed," and uses all sorts of fruity, flavorful and fun ingredients in his collection of more than 100 recipes, like this cantaloupe-lemon shake. Put your blender on standby!
Check out this gluten-free recipe for frozen banana-fudge pudding pops >>
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten free.
Recipe from Thoroughly Modern Milkshakes
Yields 3-1/2 cups
- 1/2 medium, ripe cantaloupe, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-1/2-inch chunks
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 medium scoops of gluten-free vanilla bean or plain vanilla ice cream (about 3/4 pint), softened until just starting to melt
- 3 medium scoops of gluten-free lemon sorbet (about 3/4 pint), softened until just starting to melt
- Add the cantaloupe and lemon juice to a blender, and blend for about a minute.
- Add the ice cream and sorbet. Pulse just a few times.
- With the blender off, use a rubber spatula to push the mixture down toward the bottom of the blender.
- Pulse the mixture a bit, stopping to push the ingredients down again until the mixture is thick and well-blended.
- Serve the mixture in chilled glasses and serve immediately.
Shake things up this summer with great milkshake recipes!