Guilty pleasure, anyone? With a cookie dough truffle in the center and cookie dough buttercream on top, this cupcake is a cookie dough lover’s dream come true.
Once you start making the cookie dough truffles, you will find that there are a few more truffles than there are cupcakes. Do not panic — these extras are for indulging. With no raw egg in the cookie dough truffle, you can gobble up the extras with a glass of wine while you are waiting for the cupcakes to bake. Feel free to use a vanilla cake mix or make a homemade cake, using the old-fashioned 1-2-3-4 cake recipe below (the vanilla cupcake recipe). Either way, the cookie dough truffle in the center is guaranteed to impress!
Chocolate chip cookie dough truffle recipe
Yields 18 cupcakes and 30 truffles
- 1-1/2 sticks butter, softened (12 tablespoons)
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 overflowing teaspoon good vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- 2-1/4 cups flour (as you are not baking these, use whatever you have: all-purpose or self-rising flour)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Beat the butter and brown sugar together until creamy, then add the vanilla and almond extracts.
- Slowly beat in the flour and sweetened condensed milk. Add chocolate chips and combine everything.
- Using a melon baller, scoop dough balls onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Freeze the dough for at least an hour or until set.
Vanilla cupcake recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened at room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups self-rising flour, sifted
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Using a hand-held mixer, beat the butter until creamy.
- Slowly add sugar and beat for five to seven minutes.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each egg is incorporated.
- Add flour and milk alternately (starting with flour and ending with flour) and beat to incorporate.
- Add vanilla and almond extract, beating well.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop batter into the cupcake liners.
- Remove the cookie dough truffles from the freezer and place in the center of the cupcake batter.
- Bake for 16 to 17 minutes. Let cool.
Cookie dough buttercream frosting recipe
- 2 sticks butter, softened (not melted)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Pinch of salt (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- 2-1/2 cups powdered sugar (can use up to 3-1/2 cups, depending on how sweet you like it)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Splash of almond extract (optional)
- Chocolate chips for tops
- In a stand mixer (or using a hand-held mixer) beat the butter, brown sugar and a pitch of salt together.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar.
- Next, add heavy cream (you might find you need more for spreading consistency) and vanilla (and almond extract, if desired).
- Spread the buttercream on top of your cupcakes, then sprinkle chocolate chips on top as garnish. Enjoy!