S'mores popcorn bars recipe
S'mores are one of the quintessential snacks of summer. The simple treat can instantly remind us of evenings by the campfire spent with friends and family. If you can't get away this summer, this treat combines all the flavors plus the added bonus of popcorn, with no fire needed.
These bars are an easy treat to whip up for a neighborhood barbecue, family party or anytime you want a sweet treat. Pitch a tent in your backyard, make up a batch of these treats and spend the evening under the stars. You may not actually get to go on vacation this year, but this might just make you feel like it. We actually think this version of camping might be better, since indoor plumbing is just a few steps away.
S'mores popcorn bars
Yields 12 bars
- 4-5 cups air-popped popcorn, lightly salted
- 1-1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 (10.5 ounce) bag mini-marshmallows, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- Melt four tablespoons of butter in a microwave-safe dish and pour over graham cracker crumbs. Stir to combine. Pour mixture into a 2-quart baking dish and flatten out so it covers the entire bottom.
- Pour two cups of marshmallows in a bowl and set aside.
- In a stock pot or large saucepan, melt two tablespoons of butter and the remaining marshmallows, stirring often to avoid burning. When the mixture is melted, add popcorn and stir gently to combine. Remove from heat.
- Add chocolate chips and stir quickly to combine. If you don't want the chocolate chips to get too melted, freeze them and add them to the mix while frozen.
- Pour mixture in the pan on top of the graham cracker crumbs. Spread to cover the dish and gently press into the crumbs.
- Top with remaining marshmallows and place under the broiler for a few minutes until the marshmallows brown.
- Slice into squares and serve. These are best if served immediately, but you can also refrigerate them and serve later.