Tonight's Dinner: Classic Roasted Chicken
Classic roasted chicken is an easy dinner that doesn't just have to make an appearance on the weekends. It's customizable and delicious for any day of the week!
Classic roast chicken is a delicious dish that can easily be made during the week. The best part is that it can be customized for what you have on hand. No lemons? Just use oranges! No sage? Thyme is a great alternative. Give this dish a try and you will see why roast chicken will become your family's new favorite weeknight meal!
Classic roast chicken
Yields 5-pound cooked chicken
- 5-pound whole chicken (giblets removed from cavity)
- Kosher salt
- Fresh-cracked black pepper
- Citrus of your choice, quartered (lemons, oranges, clementines, etc.)
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage, etc.)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- After removing giblets, give the chicken a quick rinse and dry outer skin with a paper towel.
- Add chicken to baking dish, Dutch oven or roasting pan. Sprinkle the outside and inside of the chicken with kosher salt and freshly cracked pepper.
- Stuff inside of chicken with preferred citrus and herbs. Leave half of the citrus and herbs for putting around the outside of the chicken.
- Add dry white wine and cook uncovered for 25 minutes at 450 degrees F. Lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and cook uncovered for about an hour until the meat registers 165 degrees on a meat thermometer.
- Let chicken rest for at least 15 minutes before carving.