Think a vegan diet means you can no longer enjoy rich and creamy pasta? Think again! Cashew cream makes this vegan fettuccine Alfredo as luscious as its dairy-rich counterparts. Seasoned with leeks, shallots and portobello mushrooms, you will never guess this Italian-inspired dish is a healthy dinner choice.
Vegan fettuccine Alfredo
Leeks, shallots and mushrooms add heartiness to this vegan-friendly Alfredo sauce. You won’t miss the dairy thanks to the richness of homemade cashew cream. Enjoy this Italian-inspired dish with a glass of dry white wine.
- 1 (16 ounce) box of fettuccine noodles
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4-6 small portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine, divided
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups cashew cream
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the fettuccine noodles according to the package directions.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms to the pan and saute for four to six minutes until tender.
- Pour one tablespoon of white wine over the mushrooms, scraping the bottom of the pan to deglaze it. Set aside.
- In a large pot heat remaining two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot and shimmering add the sliced leeks and shallots to the pot and saute for three to five minutes until translucent.
- Add minced garlic to the pot and saute for 30 seconds until fragrant. Pour the remaining one tablespoon of white wine over the mixture and continue to cook for one minute.
- Slowly pour the cashew cream into the pot, whisking well to combine. Drizzle one teaspoon of lemon juice into the pot and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle the sauce with the onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper flakes and nutmeg stirring well to combine.
- Increase the temperature to medium high and bring the Alfredo sauce to a slow bowl stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer for five minutes until the sauce thickens. Sprinkle with three tablespoons of nutritional yeast flakes and add a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the prepared fettuccine noodles and toss to coat well. Top the fettuccine Alfredo with prepared portobello mushrooms. Serve immediately.