A little homemade tzatziki, some flat pita and an easy marinade make chicken a family favorite any night of the week.
Gyro, falafel or souvlaki. All are serious food loves of mine. Whenever I go to a Greek restaurant, I’m always torn about what to get because they’re all so darn good. Most of the time I get falafel, because I haven’t figured out how to make it yet. But if I can make the chicken or lamb dishes at home I do, because they’re easy and usually better than the take-out version. This recipe from Parenting magazine is no different. It was good and what I especially loved about it was how easy it was to throw together. My son even got in on the act, helping me juice the lemons and mix up the tzatziki. The end result was a dish that not only my husband and I devoured, but my three-year-old lapped up in seconds.
- 4 flatbreads
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of 2 lemons, divided
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey, divided
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) container plain Greek yogurt
- 1 garlic clove, mashed
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Wrap the flatbreads in foil and place in the oven to warm.
- Meanwhile sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat two tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the chicken until no longer pink inside, about seven minutes.
- While the chicken cooks, whisk together the juice of one lemon, vinegar, one and one-half teaspoons of honey and oregano in a medium bowl. Pour half the mixture into a shallow baking dish and set aside.
- Once the chicken is ready, chop into half-inch cubes and place in the baking dish. Toss to coat the chicken with the lemon-vinegar mixture, cover with foil and place in the oven to keep warm.
- Add salt and pepper to the remaining lemon-vinegar mixture. Add the tomatoes and onions and toss to coat.
- Whisk together the yogurt, garlic, remaining lemon juice and remaining honey in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Place each warmed flatbread on one of four plates. Spread each with two tablespoons of tzatziki dressing. Spoon the marinated chicken on top and then top with the tomato mixture and serve.
More Tonight’s Dinner recipes >>
Other Greek recipes
Greek orzo and chicken salad
Mediterranean pizza pitas
Spicy Greek stuffed olives
Leave a Comment