Dismiss any thoughts of veggie burgers that are more like hockey pucks than food. These hearty, flavorful black bean burgers are sure to satisfy even the most stalwart carnivore and are a perfect addition to the grill this Memorial Day. Served with chipotle sweet potato fries, it’s the perfect meal.
This easy, vegan meal will make everyone happy. The flaxseeds and water serve as an egg replacement to bind the burger, but you can swap one egg instead if you prefer. They can be made gluten-free by using gluten-free breadcrumbs. The burgers can be topped with old standbys like cheese or healthier options like avocado slices.
Vegan black bean burgers recipe
- 1 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Put the black beans, corn, flaxseeds, and water in a large bowl and roughly mash together with a fork.
- Stir in the breadcrumbs and garlic powder and season with salt and pepper. Add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too moist.
- Form into four even patties and refrigerate for one-half hour (this will help it hold together when cooked).
- Cook the black bean burgers in a hot nonstick or cast iron pan, or on the grill, until browned on both sides.
- Serve immediately.
Get more inspiration with this skinny Memorial Day menu >>
Chipotle sweet potato fries recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into matchsticks or wedges
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with the oil, chipotle powder and salt.
- Spread evenly on a baking sheet and bake for about 45 minutes, until cooked through and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and serve.