Meatless Monday: Grilled salmon with orange-miso glaze and black sticky rice
If you haven't yet, it's about time to get your grill on. If you're looking for a wonderful Meatless Monday meal to make in just a short time (with the convenience of the grill), you should definitely try this recipe for grilled salmon with orange-miso glaze and black sticky rice. It's a healthy and delicious quick meal.
What's for dinner?
Mondays are hard enough to get through without the nagging question that lurks all day: “What should I make for dinner?” This recipe, which includes a quick-cooking black sticky rice, is great for a Meatless Monday meal or even for a special dinner.
Grill, meet salmon
Several components make this meal great. The Asian-inspired glaze is wonderful with its burst of citrus and zesty ginger. It's a bit sweet but still has a bite. Grilling the salmon makes cooking a breeze and if you decide to include a veggie side dish like asparagus that can also be grilled, it's even better! Let's not forget that cutting meat from your meals, even one day a week, can be good for your health and the environment.
Read up on the benefits of going meatless at least one day a week >>
All-natural, convenient Pan-Asian food
What gives this dish the extra exotic (and healthy) vibe? The Annie Chun’s Rice Express Black Pearl Sticky Rice. Black rice has been making its way onto the scene lately, and it can be a nice change of pace from white rice. However, the slow-cooking version can take about 30 minutes to cook. That's fine when you have time. When you don't, Annie Chun’s Rice Express Black Pearl Sticky Rice is the perfect solution. Annie Chun’s products give consumers a choice of great-tasting, convenient Pan-Asian meal options, including many that are gluten-free, vegetarian and organic.
The Black Pearl Sticky Rice is pre-steamed with no added oil or salt, and it's low-fat, all natural and gluten-free. One of the best parts: it's ready, out of the microwave, in about 90 seconds. Two packages of the rice make enough for about four servings.
Check out this recipe for pasta with anchovy-walnut sauce and the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids >>
Grilled salmon with orange-miso glaze and black sticky rice
Recipe courtesy of Grab a Plate
- 4 (6 ounce) salmon fillets
- 1/8 cup yellow miso
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon mirin (Japanese rice wine) or dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- Zest of half an orange
- 1/8 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 packages Annie Chun's Rice Express Black Pearl Sticky Rice
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the miso, orange juice, mirin or sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, orange zest and fresh ginger.
- Brush the glaze over the skinless side of the salmon.
- Place the salmon on the grill, skin side down, and cook for about six minutes (since our fillets were fairly thick, this amount of time worked well. If you have thinner pieces, cook for less time). Just before you flip the fillets, brush on a bit more glaze. Flip and cook for about two more minutes.
- Serve with grilled asparagus, or your favorite vegetable, over rice .
Mondays seem to sneak up on you, which can make mealtime a challenge. Meatless Mondays don’t have to be difficult — you have many delicious, easy options!