Since Memorial Day kicks off summer, start your season right with a healthy, yet delicious, holiday menu! Skip the burgers and hot dogs and serve up roasted corn and veggie salsa, skinny chicken kabobs and a pistachio ice cream so good you’ll swear it’s full fat. With a menu this good, you’ll have all your neighbors and fellow barbecuers tossing out their patties and coming to eat with you!
Start your summer off right (and still fitting into that teeny bikini) with this skinny menu, full of low-fat proteins, low-calorie cheeses and even a skinny cocktail made with light vodka! Plus, each recipe uses healthy, seasonal ingredients for an even fresher, more delicious end result.
Roasted corn and jalapeño salsa
Recipe adapted from All You
Serves about 7-8 people
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 2 jalapeños
- 6 small yellow cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 basil leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat grill to 450-600 degrees F. Place corn and jalapeños on a broiling pan set about four to six inches from heat. Cook, turning corn frequently, until kernels are soft and jalapeños are lightly browned, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool. Once corn has cooled, scrape kennels off and place in a medium size bowl. Once jalapeños have cooled, slice and remove seeds. Place in the same bowl as the corn.
- Add tomatoes, red onion, olive oil, vinegar, chopped basil leaves and salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Serve with whole grain chips and enjoy!
Chickpea and beet summer salad
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, rinsed
- 14 ounce can red beets, drained and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped summer squash
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Sliced lemon for garnish
For the directions on how to make this, check out the recipe here on SheKnows >>
Spicy mustard marinated chicken kabobs
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cut into chunks
- 4 plum tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces mustard marinade (like this kind)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wooden skewers
- Place three-quarters of the marinade in a medium bowl. Place chicken in, mix so chicken is fully covered and cover with plastic wrap. Let chicken marinate for at least three hours, or overnight. In a freezer bag, add the rest of the marinade. Add chopped peppers and let marinate for at least an hour.
- Once chicken has marinated, preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from the marinade and thread onto the skewers, interchanging with peppers, tomatoes and red onion. Sprinkle each kabob with salt and pepper.
- Grill kabobs with the grill lid on for at least 10 to 12 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked and vegetables are soft. Serve with rice and enjoy!
Low-fat pistachio gelato
Yields about 6 -7 (1/2 cup) servings
- 1 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Dash of sea salt
- 2 cups light cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package light pistachio-flavored pudding
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped pistachios
For the directions and more about this creamy, light gelato, check out the recipe here on SheKnows! >>
- Combine vodka, lemon juice and simple syrup in a chilled blender with a lid filled halfway with ice. Shake vigorously. Pour mixture into 4 tall glasses filled halfway with ice.
- Add a splash of club soda and diet cranberry juice to each glass and mix lightly. Garnish with slices of fresh lemon and enjoy!