Sweet nectarines, tangy gorgonzola cheese and fresh basil make this pizza simple and elegant. Drizzle with a white balsamic reduction to help bring all the flavors together perfectly. Pair this pizza with a green salad and a lovely glass of wine for a fancy take on a traditional pizza dinner.
We love making pizza at home. While traditional toppings are some of our favorites don’t let the unusual combination of flavors fool you with this pizza recipe. Loaded with sweet sun-ripened nectarines, fresh garlic and Gorgonzola cheese, it’s finished with a lovely white balsamic reduction that really brings everything together. You won’t be disappointed when you taste this modernized version of pizza.
Fresh nectarine and Gorgonzola pizza recipe
Yields 4 servings
- Olive oil for greasing
- Fresh pizza dough (I made my own whole wheat dough and added a little honey for sweetness)
- 1/4 cup sliced fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 nectarine, sliced thinly (not paper thin)
- Thinly sliced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, very thinly sliced
- Shavings of fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Fresh basil (or parsley for decoration)
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. The oven needs to be nice and hot before the pizza goes in.
- Make the balsamic reduction: Place balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saute pan. Turn heat to medium high. Let simmer until reduced and noticeably thick — watch it like a hawk. If it burns, it’s ruined.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to desired thickness.
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and place the rolled dough onto parchment paper.
- Drizzle dough with a little olive oil and, with your hand, rub it over the surface to coat evenly.
- Cover the dough with a layer of ricotta cheese (use a spoon to help spread it around) then add the mozzarella.
- Arrange the sliced nectarines, red onions and sliced garlic on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with fresh Parmigiano-Reggiano and Gorgonzola.
- Bake the pizza for about 15 minutes or until the crust is slightly brown and the cheese is melting.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh basil or parsley. Drizzle with the reduced balsamic. Slice and serve.