Celebrate National Eat What You Want Day
For me, National Eat What You Want Day is actually two days — May 11 and my birthday. Two full days when calories just don’t exist and you indulge in foods you want, love and that provide complete satisfaction without the guilt.
One day isn’t going to derail your entire diet as long as you get back on track the following day.
I'm a huge fan of sweets and would gladly give up any other food item for a bite of warm chocolate cake or a cookie fresh from the oven; heck, I'd give up pretty much anything forever if it just meant that I could indulge in sugar without the bulge.
Satisfy your sweet tooth with these dessert recipes!
For my Eat What You Want Day, I'd obviously start with satisfying my sweet tooth and, who am I kidding, have more than my usual few bites of dessert. I'd finish the whole thing, which might result in a temporary stomachache… Ah well, this day only comes once (twice) a year, so it's totally worth it!
I'd start off with this amazing homemade peach tart recipe — full of cornmeal, cinnamon and peaches (so it's completely healthy…. not). Move on to a strawberry Nutella panini (yes, yes, I'd go there) for lunch, Pizza delivery for dinner and end the day with a sweet snack with this cookies and cream cupcake recipe (would definitely have more than one).
What? No judging! It's MY day; I'll eat what I want.
Find even more ways to indulge on my website, www.YoungMarriedChic.com.
Cookies and cream cupcake recipe
- 2?1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1?2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup crushed chocolate sandwich cookies, plus additional for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 muffin pan cups. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add milk, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds — turn up and beat at medium speed for two minutes. Add egg whites; beat two minutes. Gently stir in one cup crushed cookies.
- Spoon batter evenly into prepared muffin cups (I like to use an ice cream scoop), filling two-thirds full. Bake about 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes.
- Remove cupcakes and cool completely before frosting. Frost cupcakes (recipe below) and garnish with additional crushed cookies.
YMC's favorite vanilla icing recipe
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup shortening (or 1 cup butter if you prefer)
- 3-4 tablespoons water or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl, combine sugar and shortening — beat until creamy and then add in milk and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for a full five minutes.
- Ice cupcakes, top with extra cookies and enjoy!