Tonight's Dinner: Sweet potato casserole recipe
Beans are usually reserved for dips and chilis. But mix them with some ground beef and top with sliced yams, and you have a delicious casserole the whole family will love.
Yams and beans seem to be two things my son will eat without any bribery at all. As a matter of fact, when it comes to beans, whether it be kidney, white or garbanzo, he can't help but search the beans out of every dish I make until there aren't any left. So when Parents Magazine suggested using several different types of beans and mixing them with ground beef and sweet potatoes, I knew this was a casserole that my toddler was going to eat by the fistful. And the best news is... I was right!
Sweet potato casserole
- 2 (15 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound ground beef, cooked and drained
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, coat a 4-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix together the beans, beef, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, salt and pepper in a large bowl until well combined.
- Layer one-third of the sweet potatoes on the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with half the bean and meat mixture and one-third of the cheese. Repeat the layers, ending with the remaining sweet potato slices. Cover with foil and bake for one hour.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake, uncovered for 20-30 more minutes or until cheese is melted and potatoes are tender. Let cool for 10 minutes and serve.