Vegetables are the one thing that kids don’t seem to like to eat. But if you shred them, and mix in some meat and spices, you’ll not only get a delicious dinner, you’ll get some more vegetables into your child’s diet.
Zucchini is not one of my favorite vegetables. It doesn’t have much flavor, and there’s something about the texture that just turns me off. But I’ve started using it more and more because I’ve started adding it to recipes. Sliced, chopped or shredded with some added spices and chicken, cheese or ground beef, and one of my least favorite vegetables suddenly is delectable. But the best news is, I’m not the only one getting more vegetables in my diet. My son is too.
Zucchini meat pie recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 small zucchinis, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 (6 ounce) package biscuit mix
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare the biscuit mix according to the package directions and set aside.
- Cook the beef, onion and zucchini in a large skillet over medium-high heat until onions are tender and beef is no longer pink. Drain the fat and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Spread the beef mixture in the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle the cheese over the top.
- Spread the prepared biscuit mix over the top of the beef, vegetable and cheese mixture and bake for 25 minutes or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Let cool for five minutes, cut into wedges and serve.
Other zucchini recipes
Baked zucchini cakes
Chocolate zucchini cake
Meatless Monday: Zucchini ribbons and raisins pizza