Honey barbecue baked beans with applewood smoked bacon recipe
Be the envy of all the guests at your next barbecue or pool party with this amazing recipe. Sweet from the honey and smoky from the bacon, these beans never disappoint.
Nothing says summer like honey barbecue baked beans. With this recipe, we included applewood smoked bacon to add flavor and some depth to this already delicious dish. These will be the talk of the town at your next cookout.
Honey barbecue beans with applewood smoked bacon recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans baked beans (any brand you prefer)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup homemade barbecue seasoning
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 cup homemade barbecue sauce (feel free to use your favorite store brand)
- 8 slices applewood smoked bacon, cooked and chopped
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add the bell pepper, onion and garlic, cooking for three to four minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
- Add the baked beans, bacon, barbecue sauce and barbecue seasoning, stirring well.
- Bring the beans to a light simmer and remove from the heat.
- Cover the beans and place them in the oven, baking them for 45 minutes.
Homemade barbecue seasoning recipe
Yields 1/2 cup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sweet paprika
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- Add all ingredients to an airtight container and shake, making sure all the ingredients have mixed completely.
- Store for up to one month.
Homemade honey barbecue sauce recipe
Yields about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup orange blossom honey
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the onion cooking until tender.
- Mix in ketchup, cider vinegar, water, apple juice, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, molasses, honey, mustard powder, chili powder, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30-45 minutes, stirring occasionally making sure the sauce does not burn onto the bottom of the pan.