Mexican calabacitas with lime infused sour cream recipe
Zucchini, squash and onions are sauteed and topped off with fresh cilantro, green onions, cheese and lime infused sour cream. This a perfect side dish for any Mexican meal.
During the summer months, squash and zucchini are so abundant. In this recipe, they are lightly sauteed and flavored with salsa verde which is a green salsa made from tomatillos, a little cheese and a splash of cream. Top it off with fresh cilantro, thinly sliced green onions or the optional lime infused sour cream. This is an excellent side dish to any Mexican themed meal.
Mexican calabacitas and lime infused sour cream recipe
Yield 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion or red onion, finely sliced
- 2 large zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup salsa verde
- A pinch salt
- A pinch pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fresh cilantro to garnish
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Over medium heat, melt the butter in a large pan.
- Add the onion, zucchini and squash cooking until translucent about five minutes.
- Add the salsa verde, heavy cream, salt, pepper and garlic powder mixing well.
- Cover the pan and let to simmer for 15 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Top with shredded jack cheese, fresh cilantro, green onions and lime infused sour cream.
Lime infused sour cream recipe
Yield 1/2 cup
- 1/2 cup sour cream (you may substitute plain Greek yogurt)
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- Pinch of salt
- In a small bowl, mix all ingredients together until combined.
- Season with salt to your liking.