When most people think of combining fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and basil, they think of a Caprese sandwich. But for those hot nights when you’re not in the mood to cook, those same ingredients can make a delicious salad.
I’m a serious carnivore. When it comes to meat, I have no problem eating anything from pork, to steak to chicken. But every so often, I like to put down the steak knife and ingest something that has a little more green in it. Something without a single piece of meat anywhere in the dish.
One of my favorite go-to vegetarian choices is the Caprese sandwich. There’s nothing better than fresh tomatoes (preferably heirloom), buffalo mozzarella, basil and a little olive oil on a nice piece of crusty bread. It’s rich, full of flavor and cleanses the palate so I’m ready to dive back into my meat-eating tendencies. So when Parents magazine suggested turning this delicious lunch option into a dinner salad, I jumped at the thought. This salad would be perfect for those hot days when I’d had a big lunch or wasn’t in the mood to cook. And because the tomatoes and bread are grilled, the salad has a fire-roasted flavor that heightens the whole dish.
Caprese bread salad
- 4 slices crusty bread
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 pound buffalo mozzarella, cut into cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle olive oil, salt and pepper over the slices of bread and grill for about two minutes per side.
- While the bread is grilling, place the tomatoes in a tin foil pan, drizzle some olive oil over the tomatoes and place on the grill for two minutes, or until charred.
- Cut the grilled bread into half-inch cubes and slice the tomatoes in half.
- Mix together the bread, tomatoes, garlic, mozzarella and basil in a large bowl. Drizzle the remaining oil, vinegar, salt and pepper over the tomato mixture. Toss to coat and serve.
Watch: How to redesign your Caprese salad
Learn how to make a Caprese salad with this video.
Learn how to make a caprese salad with SheKnows.