Turkey enchiladas recipe for Cinco de Mayo
Celebrate Cinco de Mayo with this crowd-pleasing enchilada recipe, which makes enough to serve a small crowd. Covered in mounds of melted cheese, these flavorful Mexican enchiladas make for one sassy casserole.
Cinco de Mayo, which means the fifth of May in Spanish, marks the victory of the Mexican army over the French in the 1862 Battle of Puebla. In the U.S., it has come to be a celebration of Mexican-Americans and is marked with festivals and parades. What better way to celebrate than with a delicious Mexican-inspired meal? Feel free to substitute chicken breast for turkey in the recipe, but whatever you do, don’t leave out the beans and cheese!
Check out these tips on how to host a sizzling Cinco de Mayo fiesta >>
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 dried ancho chili
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans
- 1 pound boneless, skinless turkey breast, cut into thick slices
- 8 (12-inch) soft tortillas
- 1-1/2 cups shredded jack or cheddar cheese, divided
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened.
- Add the paprika, cumin, coriander, chili powder and dried ancho chili and allow to cook, stirring, for two minutes.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and black beans and bring to a simmer. Add the turkey and allow to simmer until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, wrap the tortillas in aluminum foil and lightly heat in the oven until soft.
- When the turkey is cooked, remove it from the sauce and shred it with two forks.
- Allow sauce to continue simmering to thicken.
- Spoon some of the chicken mixture down the middle of a tortilla. Top with a spoonful of sauce and some cheese.
- Roll and place in a large baking pan, seam-side down.
- Continue with the remaining chicken, sauce, cheese and tortillas. The enchiladas should be snug in the pan.
- Top with the remaining sauce and cheese. Put in the oven and bake until the cheese is fully melted. Allow to cool slightly before serving.