Gluten-free Friday: Banana, honey and cream cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches
Ready for a gluten-free breakfast dish to swoon over? Give this tasty recipe for banana, honey and cream cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches a try!
This isn't your standard Monte Cristo sandwich, but it will make your mouth water!
Start your day with a simple and sensational breakfast treat. This gluten-free recipe is a cinch to put together, doesn’t require any ingredients that are out-of-the-ordinary and is perfect for a festive brunch or a family treat. Use gluten-free cinnamon-raisin bread for an added delight.
Check out more gluten-free recipes >>
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Banana, honey and cream cheese Monte Cristo sandwiches
Recipe courtesy of Easy Eats magazine
- 8 slices gluten-free bread (cinnamon-raisin gluten-free bread tastes great for this recipe)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 ripe bananas, peeled, sliced and slightly mashed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- Zest of 1/2 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Confectioners’ sugar, for garnish (optional)
- Combine the cream cheese, lemon zest, salt and honey in a medium-sized bowl. Use a separate, shallow bowl and whisk together the eggs, milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- On one bread slice, spread the cream cheese mixture about 1/4-inch thick. Top it with about 1/4 of the banana mixture, then another slice of bread. Lightly press them together. Repeat with the remaining bread slices and fillings.
- Add the butter to a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Dredge the sandwiches in the egg mixture, making sure to get both sides soaked.
- Cook the sandwiches in the skillet, turning them once, for about four minutes, or until they are lightly golden.
- Cut them in half diagonally and garnish with confectioners’ sugar, if you’re using it.
This could become a favorite breakfast dish in your household!