When you think of Bisquick, pancakes or biscuits usually come to mind, but it also makes a delicious pie crust. Add some ground sausage and vegetables and you have a pie no one will be able to do without.
Sausage and peppers are a delicious, easy dinner any night of the week. But there’s no rule that says you have to stick with sausage links and sliced peppers over rice. There are numerous ways to enjoy these two foods, one of which includes chopping them up and enveloping them in a flaky crust. While this pie does take some effort, you can make it easier on yourself by buying a biscuit mix like Bisquick and ground sausage. The end result is well worth the effort and something the whole family will love.
Rustic sausage pie
- 1 pound ground sausage
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can pizza sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) package biscuit mix
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9-inch spring form cake pan.
- Prepare the biscuit mix according to the package and set aside.
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat until browned. Transfer the cooked sausage to a towel lined plate, reserving one tablespoon of the drippings in the pan.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic to the same skillet and cook until tender, about five minutes. Stir in the pizza sauce until combined.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll three-fourths of the biscuit dough into a large circle. Press the dough into the prepared pan on the bottom and up the sides. Sprinkle the dough with a half cup of cheese. Spoon the meat and vegetable mixture on top of the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the meat mixture.
- Roll the remaining dough into a 9-inch circle, lay on top of the meat-cheese mixture and pinch the dough to seal.
- Brush the beaten egg over the pie, score the top of the pie with a sharp knife and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool the pie in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan, slice and serve.