Tonight's Dinner: Gouda-stuffed chicken recipe
Cheese and apples are a delicious snack in the afternoon for kids and adults alike, so why not stuff some chicken inside for a meal the whole family will love?
One of the classic American desserts is apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese on top. While I've never been one to mix my desserts and my appetizers, I do like the occasional apple slices with cheese on top for a light, healthy snack. So when Taste of Home recommended combining those flavors inside a chicken breast, I thought it was the perfect idea. The apples gave the chicken a delicious sweet flavor and the cheese had a subtle saltiness that paired perfectly with both the chicken and the apples.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 ounces gouda cheese, cut into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 2 large apples, 1 minced and 1 thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut a 2-inch pocket into the thickest part of each breast. Combine the cheese and minced apple in a bowl. Fill each breast with two tablespoons of the cheese mixture and close with a toothpick.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge each breast in the flour mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown chicken for about two minutes per side. Place skillet in oven and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear.
- While the chicken cooks, heat the broth and cider in a medium skillet over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes. Stir in the sliced apples and honey and simmer for five minutes or until apples are tender.
- Ladle the cider sauce and apples over each chicken breast and serve.