Looking for a cute, fun, edible way to say thank you to your wedding guests, bridesmaids or shower hosts that won’t break the bank? Make a batch of these adorably decorated wedding themed sugar cookies! The great thing about these beautiful (and tasty) cookies is that you can customize them to match your theme, wedding colors and even your dress! Who said favors or gifts had to be expensive?
Even if you don’t have the decorating skills of a professional baker, you can still create gorgeous cookies by using fondant and edible shaped candies, like flowers and pearls! After they’ve chilled, wrap each cookie in a beautiful mesh or cellophane bag tied with a ribbon of your choice for a beautifully packaged favor that not only looks amazing, but tastes amazing too!
Wedding sugar cookies
Yields about 12 cookies
For the cookies:
- 5 tablespoons soft butter
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can also use almond)
- 1-2/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the fondant:
- 1/2 cup white corn syrup
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar
- To make the cookies: In a medium bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well. In another bowl, carefully whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Add flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture, one cup at a time, mixing in between additions. *Dough will be crumbly, but it’ll harden up. Form a dough ball with dough and wrap tightly in plastic wrap or wax paper. Place in refrigerator and chill overnight.
- Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet in foil and liberally spray with cooking spray. Then, on a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to about a 1/4-inch thickness. Lightly flour the edges of wedding themed cookie cutters and cut out shapes. Re-roll dough scraps and repeat until all dough is used.
- Place cookies at least one inch apart and bake for eight to 12 minutes, or until cookies are golden brown. Place on a wire cooling rack and cool completely before frosting.
- While cookies cool, prepare buttercream fondant. In a large bowl, mix the shortening and corn syrup. Sprinkle in the salt and vanilla flavoring, and then gradually mix in the confectioners’ sugar until it is a stiff dough. Knead the dough by hand for the best results.
- On a hard surface that’s been dusted with powdered sugar, roll out dough until it’s at least 1/8-inch thick. Carefully drape over the cooled cookies and cut off remaining dough. Decorate with cake and icing gel, sugar pearls or candy and enjoy!