This April 19, garlic lovers across the U.S. will celebrate the pungent flavor of a spicy little member of the onion genus — garlic. Garlic isn’t just delicious. It helps protect you from heart disease, reduces your likelihood of catching the common cold and wards off the occasional vampire.
Garlic is a staple in most American households. From Asian cuisine to rustic Mexican dishes, garlic lends its unique flavor to a variety of edibles from across the globe. This National Garlic Day, celebrate with one of these fantastic recipes that make garlic the star of the show.
Lemon garlic bread recipe
- 1/4 loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 clove (about 1/2 teaspoon) garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup real butter
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest of one lemon
- Pepper to taste
- Mix all ingredients except bread in a small bowl.
- Brush the butter mixture onto the cut sides of the bread and wrap loosely with foil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, discard the foil and slice into half-inch pieces.
Garlic mayonnaise recipe
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- Lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- In a food processor, pulse to combine the yolk and 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
- Add one tablespoon of lemon juice and the mustard, and then blend well.
- Put the food processor motor on low and add 3/4 cup of olive oil very slowly (don’t pour too quickly or the mayonnaise will break).
- Remove the mayonnaise from the food processor, add the remaining olive oil, at least one teaspoon of lemon juice and the garlic in a bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add additional lemon juice if desired.
- Refrigerate for up to five days.
Garlic croutons recipe
- 4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1/4 cup real butter, melted
- French bread, half-inch cubes (3 ounces by weight)
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- Mix the garlic and melted butter in a small bowl, add the bread cubes and stir gently until the bread is well coated.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet or shallow baking dish in a single layer.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden on all sides, turning at least once.
- Cool and serve.