Sunday Dinner: Ballpark chili dogs
Now that it’s officially baseball season, have a little ballpark fun at home for dinner! This recipe for ballpark chili dogs will hit a home run with the family.
You can’t always make it to the ballpark on a Sunday. With this recipe for ballpark chili dogs and the game on TV, you’ll feel like you’re right there in the middle of the action! Serve these dogs with baked beans and a fresh green salad, and you’ve got a terrific Sunday dinner to enjoy.
Map it out!
Looking for a fun way for your kids to learn their U.S. cities and states? Download a map of the U.S. and grab a packet of pins. As you and your family watch Major League Baseball games on TV over the season, pinpoint the cities and states where the stadiums are located. Fill in cities that don’t have stadiums along the way. At the end of the season, you’ll have a lot of territory covered!
Ballpark chili dogs
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce) jar prepared salsa
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (1.5 ounce) packet chili seasoning
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, as topping
- 1/2 cup white onion, finely diced, as topping
- Over medium heat, add the vegetable oil to a pan and brown the ground beef, stirring occasionally. Drain any excess grease from the meat.
- After the ground beef is browned, add the salsa, water, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, tomato paste, brown sugar and onion powder into the ground beef and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the hot dogs according to the package directions.
- When the ground beef mixture is ready, add the hot dogs to the buns, top with the chili, cheese and onion and serve with a side of baked beans and a fresh green salad.
Whether baseball is a favorite pastime in your family or not, these ballpark chili dogs are sure to become a favorite for dinner!