White pizzas usually use Alfredo sauce for their base. But instead of using a thick heavy sauce, why not go without a sauce and keep your whites to just a variety of cheeses.
In case you haven’t been able to tell, I’ve been on a bit of a pizza kick the past few weeks. What can I say? I’m a fan. And on Friday nights, nothing sounds better at the end of a long week than a nice big pizza with whatever toppings I find interesting at that moment. While pepperoni and sausage are my first choices, I’ve made pizza with chicken salad, potatoes and even wild rice. There’s no doubt I like to experiment when it comes to pizza, but there’s one thing I’ve never forgone when it’s come to the delectable Italian dish — sauce. I’ve done Alfredo, pesto and of course tomato, but it was Better Homes and Gardens that suggested no sauce at all.
No sauce? How in the world can you have a pizza with no sauce? That’s sacrilege! But let me tell you, I didn’t miss the sauce. As a matter of fact, the four different kinds of cheeses were so delicious all melted together, they created their own kind of sauce instead. It was out of this world. And since my whole family loves any and all cheeses, they were in heaven too.
Four cheese white pizza
- 1 (10 ounce) package prepared pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 6 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded Italian cheese blend
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly coat a pizza pan with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for about one minute. Add the spinach and cook until it’s just wilted, one to two minutes.
- Roll out the pizza dough and transfer it to the pizza pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mozzarella and Italian cheese blend.
- Sprinkle one cup of the shredded cheese mixture over the dough. Top with the spinach and garlic. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the spinach. Top with dollops of ricotta.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Slice and serve immediately.
Other pizza recipes
Chorizo pizza with arugula and caramelized onions
Crab pizza snacks
Peanut butter pizza