5 Ways to use up your extra matzo
With Passover over, families invariably have boxes and boxes of extra matzo on hand. Don't allow it to go stale -- put it to great use with these easy and delicious matzo recipes and ideas!
If you end up with loads of extra matzo after the holidays, just think of it as a multipurpose, crunchy flatbread with endless uses. These creative ideas and recipes will have you eating matzo year-round.
Use matzo as a crunchy base for delicious and fun pizzas that the whole family will love. Simply spread with your favorite tomato sauce, shredded cheese and any toppings you like and bake until the cheese is melted.
Break up the matzo into rough, bite-sized pieces and top them with dips and spreads for elegant canapes perfect for entertaining. Ricotta cheese with slow roasted cherry tomatoes is my personal favorite. You can also use pieces of matzo in place of chips!
Roughly crumble matzo into small pieces to add whenever you want some additional crunch and texture on a dish. Crumbled matzo is perfect for soups but even works on top of salads in place of croutons.
Put crumbled matzo in a food processor and finely grind it. Now you can use it in place of breadcrumbs to bread chicken, make meatballs or toss with pasta. It’s also the primary ingredient in a matzo ball soup recipe, which is excellent any time of year.
Cover it in chocolate
For an extra special treat, drizzle pieces of matzo with melted chocolate (recipe below). You can get really creative by using different types of chocolate (white and milk make a great combo), adding in some caramel or topping with chopped nuts.
Chocolate matzo recipe
- 3 pieces matzo (about 3-1/2 ounces), broken up into pieces
- 6 ounces chocolate of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the matzo in one even layer on the parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Melt the chocolate and butter over a double boiler or in a small bowl in the microwave, stirring often.
- Carefully drizzle the melted chocolate over all the matzo. Allow to set (speed this up by putting it in the refrigerator).
- Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container for up to three days.