Bloody mary recipes
To many people, brunch means bloody marys (though the food is good, too). But some of us like our cocktails with even more punch. Add a little spice to your life with one of these kicked-up bloody mary recipes.
Bloody marys are considered the world’s most complex cocktail. This delicious vodka and tomato juice beverage can be made with ingredients like Worcestershire sauce, horseradish, lemon juice and more, but for the serious bloody mary fan, the spice is where it’s at! If you’re a member of the drink's fan club, these three extra-spicy bloody mary recipes will let you start your day off right.
"Some like it HOT!" bloody mary recipe*
- 1-3/4 cups tomato juice
- 3 ounces vodka
- 1 dash hot sauce (extra spicy)
- A few drops Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Pinch black pepper
- 1-1/4 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper
- Combine tomato juice, vodka, hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, a pinch of celery salt and lemon juice in a shaker and shake vigorously.
- Pour the remaining celery salt onto a small plate, dampen the rim of a tall glass (with water or extra lemon juice) and swirl the glass in the celery salt to rim.
- Fill the glass with ice, and then add the tomato juice mixture.
- Slit the jalapeño up the middle, leaving the top of the jalapeño intact and use it to garnish the glass.
* This recipe is based loosely on the bloody mary served at Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in New York City.
Bloody biker recipe
- 2 ounces pepper vodka
- 5 ounces tomato juice
- 1/4 clove garlic, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon onion, grated
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 pinch sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon green olive juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon extra spicy pepper sauce (e.g., habanero)
- 1 squeeze lime
- 3 whole green olives
- Mix all ingredients except whole olives in a cocktail shaker and pour into a tall glass (over ice if desired).
- Skewer three olives on a single cocktail toothpick and lay across glass for garnish.
Wasabi bloody mary recipe
- 3/4 cup low-sodium tomato or vegetable juice
- 1-1/2 ounces vodka
- 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon wasabi
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 1 squeeze lime
- Salt or celery salt to taste
- 1 stalk celery
- Squeeze lime juice into wasabi and whisk until dissolved.
- Add wasabi mixture and other ingredients to a cocktail shaker over ice and combine well.
- Pour (with or without ice) into a tall glass and garnish with celery.