Homemade coconut butter
No need to overpay for store bought coconut butter. Making it at home is easy and fast with this butter recipe! Homemade coconut butter is nutritious, full of flavor and super easy to make! It is packed full of healthy fats and is perfect when stirred into warm oatmeal, slathered on toast and even added to smoothies.
If you have ever tried coconut oil, then you will love coconut butter! The difference between the two is simple. Coconut oil is just the oil of the coconut. It's smooth and creamy and melts like a dream. On the other hand, coconut butter contains the actual meat of the coconut so its flavor and texture is even more intense and rich. Both can be used as a dairy butter replacement, but coconut butter is so delicious that you will want to eat it with a spoon!
Coconut butter is packed with healthy fatty acids (lauric acid to be exact) and healthy protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Because lauric acid is a medium chain fatty acid, it is not immediately stored away; it is instead burned immediately and used as energy. This can help bring an extra boost to the midday slump or even help calm cravings!
Coconut butter is also a great addition to your vegan or raw diet. Just make sure if you are incorporating it in your raw diet that your dried coconut is certified raw. You can also add extra flavor to your coconut butter by adding in carob powder, cinnamon and even almond extract!
Read about other uses for coconut oil >>
Homemade coconut butter recipe
Serving size about 2 cups
- 2 cups organic, unsweetened dried coconut
- Add dried coconut to food processor and blend for about 10 minutes until the coconut becomes creamy.
- Store at room temperature in a covered Mason jar.
Not sure what to make with your coconut butter? Try this super simple fudge!
Banana, peanut butter and cocoa fudge recipe
Serving size 1 small pan
- 4 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1/2 very ripe banana (mashed)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup agave (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor and blend until combined.
- Pour into small dish and put in refrigerator for a few hours to harden.