Morning, noon or night, you can’t go wrong with frittata as an easy, hearty, meat-free meal! Make this fabulous sun-dried tomato frittata recipe for your Meatless Monday dish!
New at the grocery stores
As a smart shopper, maybe you’ve started to notice the nutrition labels on cuts of meat at the grocery store. That might be because the U.S. Department of Agriculture now requires this information on all meats. This process started on March 1 and includes information like calories, serving size, cholesterol and saturated fat content posted on labels for ground beef, pork, chicken and other meats.
According to Meatless Monday, “Consumers can use this new information to comparison shop between meat products and protein sources that tend to be lower in calories and saturated fat, like lentils, brown rice and tempeh.”
Noteworthy food news
If you’ve been following the news, it’s likely you’ve seen the report from a recent study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health, noting that red meat is associated with an increased risk of total, cardiovascular and cancer mortality.
Participating in Meatless Monday — and cutting meat from your meals even one day a week — is a great way to make healthier food choices. You can still get your fill of tasty meals — just think about choosing healthier protein sources in place of red meat for recipes. Fish, poultry, nuts, whole grains, legumes and low-fat dairy are all great sources.
We’ve got you covered when it comes to great meatless meals. Consider a frittata recipe, whether you serve it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It offers a meat-free taste of the Mediterranean that is simple to put together!
Sun-dried tomato frittata recipe
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- Pinch of fresh thyme leaves
- 6 eggs
- 2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese gratings for garnish
- In a small bowl, add hot water to the dried tomatoes (just enough to cover them). Allow them to soak for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the tomatoes from the water. Pat dry and reserve the water. Slice each tomato into thin strips.
- Using a large pan over high heat, add the oil and the onion, cooking for about five minutes or until softened and golden. Add the tomatoes and thyme to the onion mixture and cook over medium heat for about three minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Using a medium bowl, add the eggs and beat lightly. Add about three tablespoons of the reserved water to the eggs and the Parmesan cheese. Raise the heat on the onion mixture to high. When hot, add the eggs and quickly mix with the other ingredients. Lower the heat to medium and allow to cook for about four minutes or until the base of the egg mixture is golden and the top begins to puff.
- Using a plate that is about the same size as the pan, place it upside down over the pan and carefully turn the pan over, with the frittata onto the plate. Slide the frittata back to the pan and cook for another three to four minutes on the other side.
- Remove the pan from the heat and to serve, slice into wedges. Garnish with the Parmesan shavings and serve hot or cold.
Meatless Monday meals offer opportunities for healthier eating habits and you won’t give up any taste!