A spring-inspired meal like quinoa salad with radishes and feta is a great way to welcome the warmer weather! Depending on where you live, you’ll start to see a variety of fresh veggies, like radishes, at the markets. Use them in this quinoa salad recipe!
This week marked the official start of spring! Whether or not the weather in your area is complying with the calendar, the fact is there’s no turning your back to the spring season. A great spring meal is always a nice treat and quinoa salad with radishes and feta is no exception!
Inspired by the birds
Bluebirds are a sign of spring; warm weather and gentle south breezes they bring. Why not let the season inspire you in your activities as well as your meals! The birds will soon be out in full force, which we like! Consider a family activity like putting together a backyard birdfeeder using materials you probably already have at home. This simple idea for a backyard birdfeeder from Disney Family Fun uses a soda bottle, a few wooden spoons and twine to make a welcome resting stop for the birds.
Quinoa is a gluten-free (and fast cooking) grain full of protein. It’s actually the seed of a plant and when cooked, it’s soft on the outside, chewy on the inside and has a great nutty flavor. It’s really versatile and you can make a lot of different dishes with it. This salad is a great way to welcome you to the world of quinoa!
Quinoa salad recipe with radishes and feta
- 4 medium radishes, very thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thin green beans
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 large English cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 3-1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 ounces Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- Bring a medium-sized pan of water to boil over high heat. Add the green beans and blanch for three minutes. Remove the beans and rinse under cold water. Drain, dry and cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces.
- In another saucepan, bring 1-3/4 cups of water to a rolling boil. Pour in the quinoa and cook, covered, over low heat until the quinoa absorbs all of the water, approximately 10-12 minutes. Uncover the quinoa, fluff with a fork and allow to cool for about 15 minutes.
- Place the cucumber with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Empty the quinoa in a large bowl and add the parsley, lemon juice and the remaining three tablespoons of olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper and then add the beans, radishes, cucumbers and the feta.
- Toss gently until well-combined and serve.
Eat for the season! Spring brings fresh veggies and new salads to try!