What’s better than an ice cold beer after a long day? An ice cold beer and a cupcake! Instead of enjoying those two delicious treats separately, why not put them together? This delicious cupcake recipe mixes my two favorite things, blueberry beer and lemon cupcakes, to create one of the most delicious desserts I’ve ever had. Paired with a thick, buttercream frosting and you have the perfect dessert for those hot summer days (or any day for that matter)!
These cupcakes aren’t just for dessert either. The use of fresh blueberries and lemon gives these almost a muffin taste, so you can certainly indulge and enjoy one for breakfast. Now, all the alcohol cooks out, but I won’t tell anyone if you pair this with a spiked lemonade or a beermosa. Who said you can’t have beer for breakfast?
Blueberry lemon beer cupcake recipe
Recipe adapted from My Recipes
Yields 12 cupcakes
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Dash of salt
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (or can use oil or butter)
- 1/4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup blueberry beer
- 1-1/2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 – 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
- Use this classic buttercream recipe for the frosting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake/muffin tin with paper liners and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In another bowl, mix together the applesauce and egg with a whisk. Add in buttermilk, beer, lemon zest mixture and lemon juice, and whisk well. Add the beer mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just moistened. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon about 1/4 – 1/3 cup of the batter into each liner, filling about 2/3 the way full. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let chill completely. Once chilled, frost with buttercream and garnish with additional lemon zest or blueberries!