Don’t think soup is just for the winter. This fresh vegetable packed soup recipe will help keep you warm through the cool spring nights.
The warmth of spring brings many fresh and sweet vegetables. What better way to use these delicious vegetables than by making soup. Not only does this soup recipe taste amazing, but it will help keep you warm throughout the cool spring nights.
Spring vegetable soup recipe
Serving size 4-6
- 3 medium leeks (cleaned and chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 3 large carrots (peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 3 stalks celery (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 small red potatoes (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 26 ounce container chopped tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 pound asparagus (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 3/4 cup cut green beans
- 1/2 cup petite shelled peas
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- In a soup pot, add a drizzle of olive oil and sweat leeks and garlic together over medium heat. Be careful not to burn the garlic or it will get bitter.
- Add carrots, celery and red potatoes and cook for a few minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, stock, thyme, bay leaves and remaining vegetables.
- Cook on medium until the vegetables are tender. Serve with fresh basil pesto on top.
Basil pesto recipe
Serving size 1 cup
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (You can also use walnuts or leave the nuts out)
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil
- In a food processor, add basil, garlic and nuts (if you are using) and pulse until coarsely combined.
- While food processor is running slowly, add in olive oil until desired consistency is met.