With spring on the horizon, it’s hard not to get excited about beach trips, Caribbean vacations and coconut infused frozen drinks. However for many, an exotic vacation away is more of a dream than a reality.
If you can’t get away to the tropics any time soon, at least give your taste buds a vacation from the ordinary with these tropical coconut rum balls. Each bite-sized ball is filled with sweet coconut and spicy rum and is super easy to re-create. Who said you had to travel far away for an authentic island treat?
With just a handful of ingredients, this coconut rum ball recipe isn’t only easy to make, but they are super budget-friendly too! The less you spend on groceries means the more you can spend on your dream vacation. Or, if that’s still out of your reach, the more you can spend on rum to put in frozen drinks so you can pretend you are on a beach.
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart.
Coconut rum balls recipe
- 1 stick butter, unsalted and softened
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter with powdered sugar until creamy and fluffy. Add in rum. Slowly add in flour and sea salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir in coconut.
- Roll dough into balls (about 1-inch). Place at least two to three inches apart on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 16 to 18 minutes.
- Let cookies cool for about two minutes and roll in additional powdered sugar.