Sunday Dinner: Spring fever fix with quick avocado sandwich wraps
The winter season can seem to drag on, especially when you're waiting for the warmer weather to hit. Celebrate the fact that spring is near with a picnic-perfect light dinner! Quick avocado sandwich wraps can do the trick.
When spring fever hits, don't call the doctor -- just add a dose of family fun and a great meal to get everyone ready for the warm weather! While spring cleaning might not sound like fun, it's a traditional start to welcome in the new season. If you include the whole family in the effort and add a little interest to things, you might be surprised at the fun you'll have (and tidying up you'll accomplish)!
Tips to make spring cleaning more fun
- Take some time. Don't try to do everything in one day. Instead, pick one or two tasks you'd like to accomplish. The family won't feel pressure to finish a lot of work in a little time, and that can mean a better effort from all!
- Turn up the tunes! When you've got upbeat, fun music to clean to, it can help take the "bore" out of "chore." Pick songs to play that everyone will love.
- Play a game. Add a little friendly competition to your cleaning! See who can gather the most loose change, the largest pile of clothes to donate or magazines to recycle. Plan ahead and have a few prizes to give out to the winners.
- Reward the gang. When cleaning time has come to an end, be sure to spend time together over dinner, with a special dessert to follow for all the hard work you accomplished!
A nice, springtime sandwich for dinner will keep hope alive that the warmer weather is just around the corner! Quick avocado sandwich wraps are easy, tasty and a great way to put some springtime in your dinner!
Quick avocado sandwich wrap recipe
Recipe courtesy of the California Avocado Commission
- 4 fajita size fat-free flour tortillas
- 2 slices ripe, California avocados, seeded, peeled and mashed
- 4 slices turkey breast
- 2 teaspoons prepared barbecue sauce, divided
- 4 thin slices low-fat mozzarella or American cheese, divided
- 2 large carrots (1 cup) peeled and coarsely shredded, divided
- Add two teaspoons of mashed avocado to each tortilla and spread it to the outer edge (about one inch from the edge).
- Add one slice of turkey breast over the avocado spread.
- Add one slice of cheese; then spread on about 1/2 teaspoon of barbecue sauce.
- Add about 1/4 of the shredded carrot to the top of the barbecue sauce.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly and put the seam side down on the plate.
- Use a serrated knife to slice the roll in half.
- Serve with a fresh salad or a side of baked beans.
Springtime means spring cleaning. Have fun with it, and then enjoy family time with a great spring-inspired sandwich for dinner!