Chicken souvlaki with tzatziki recipe
Make your dining room feel like an authentic Greek taverna with this healthy recipe for marinated chicken souvlaki and cucumber-rich tzatziki yogurt sauce.
Humble chicken breast gets loads of flavor from a quick marinade of olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and spices and is baked for a fuss free preparation. Served with a thick, cucumber-studded yogurt sauce, this is a healthy, satisfying meal the whole family will be able to get behind. Best of all, it's quick enough for a weeknight supper and elegant enough for stress-free entertaining. And did I mention that it's gluten free?
Chicken souvlaki recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Greek salad seasoning (or 2 teaspoons each dried oregano, thyme and mint)
- 2 pounds chicken breast (I like to slice it into tenders but they can be kept whole as well)
- Whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar and herbs in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and toss to coat. Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate, at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the chicken on a baking sheet and transfer to the oven (discard extra marinade).
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, flipping halfway, until cooked through (time will be shorter for tenders than for whole chicken breast).
- Remove from the oven and serve with tzatziki.
Yields 2 cups
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1 cucumber, grated on medium side of box grater and strained of extra liquid
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon tzatziki seasoning or garlic powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper
- Strain the yogurt through two coffee filters or cheesecloth for at least one hour or until desired thickness is reached.
- Transfer to a bowl and mix with the cucumber, dill, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a closed glass jar and store in the refrigerator for up to one week.