Takeru Kobayashi is the new SportsRadio 94 WIP’s Wing Bowl XX champion after a sound defeat of Joey Squibb. Just how many chicken wings does it take to make you the champ? A stunning (and record breaking) 337 wings!
Philly.com reports today that Kobayashi was ahead of reigning champ Joey Squibb by over 60 chicken wings by the end of the second round. However, he almost lost the match by vomiting at one point. According to Wing Bowl rules, “If you heave, you leave.” Luckily for Kobayashi (and all the onlookers), he was able to keep the chicken wings down.
The crowd seemed to be decidedly in favor of Joey Squibb and booed Kobayashi while he flexed upon his victory. All is not lost for Squibb however, who had earlier won a car for being the best local eater in the competition.
Along with chicken wings, Kobayashi has won hot dog, hamburger and roasted pork bun eating competitions, among others.
To host a wing-eating contest of your own, check out these recipes >>
Chicken wing alternatives
Of course, there are those of us out there who aren’t chicken wing lovers. In that case, consider making one of these delicious recipes.
Buffalo chicken dip recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked and cubed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup wing or hot sauce (like Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup ranch or blue cheese dressing (depending on your preference)
- 1/2 shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped scallions
Buffalo chicken lettuce wraps recipe
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup hot sauce (such as Red Hot or Texas Pete)
- 1/2 stick butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cooked, cooled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6-8 ribs celery hearts, diced
- 2 small carrots, peeled, shredded
- 1 cup high quality blue cheese crumbles
- 16-20 large bibb lettuce leaves, washed and dried