Eating out and ordering in adds up, taking dollars from your budget and adding inches to your waist. Instead, try making Chinese chicken and broccoli with brown sauce at home in about the time it takes to order delivery.
The secret to this garlicky, authentic-tasting sauce is the corn starch, which helps thicken it slightly so it coats the chicken and broccoli. You can make this same dish with beef instead, or try it with tofu for a vegetarian-friendly version! For even more variation, consider snow peas instead of broccoli.
Once you get this basic chicken and broccoli recipe down, the restaurant-style possibilities are endless. Serve the chicken and broccoli with steamed white or brown rice for the full experience.
Chicken and broccoli recipe
Serves 2 to 4
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets and stem sliced
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 pound chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Blanch the broccoli (cook in boiling water for a few minutes). Drain and run under cold water so it stays bright green. Set aside.
- Heat the sesame oil and chili oil (if using) in a large pan or wok. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant and very lightly browned (don’t burn).
- Add the soy sauce, broth, mirin, honey and fish sauce and stir to combine.
- Allow to boil and cook down, seven minutes or so.
- Mix a small amount of the sauce with the corn starch to make a slurry; then stir into the sauce. Add the chicken or tofu and cook, stirring frequently, until cooked through.
- Add in the broccoli and stir to combine. Serve with steamed rice.
Watch: How to make fortune cookies
Making homemade fortune cookies is a snap, and your loved ones will get a kick out of their personalized predictions.