Knorr Homestyle Stock is a versatile addition to your pantry that enables you to add flavor to almost any dish effortlessly. When you substitute stock for all or part of the liquid in your favorite savory recipes, you can add taste and cut calories at the same time.
Skinny mashed potatoes
Cut calories in — and add flavor to — your mashed potatoes with chicken stock. Cook the potatoes the same way you usually do and drain them well. Add 1/2 cup stock and 2 tablespoons milk or cream for every 3 pounds of potatoes you make.
Try this recipe for mashed sweet potatoes from Knorr.
Super-Easy Sweet Potato Mash
- 2-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tub Knorr® Homestyle Stock — chicken
- 4 tablespoons Shedd’s Spread Country Crock® Spreadable Butter With Canola Oil
- Combine sweet potatoes with water in a large microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and microwave on high 12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove from microwave and carefully remove cover. Stir in Knorr® Homestyle Stock and spreadable butter. Mash in food processor until smooth.
Poached chicken breast
Save yourself time and money by poaching a lot of chicken breasts all at once and using the cooked meat in your recipes all week long. When you poach chicken breasts in chicken stock, you get a richer flavor than when you use water. Don’t throw the stock that you cooked the chicken in away, either. Pour it into a jar, seal it tightly, and store it in the refrigerator for use in gravies, casseroles, soups and other dishes.
In Chicken Alfredo and other dishes
The next time you are making Chicken Alfredo, tetrazzini or another pasta dish, cook the pasta in chicken stock. The pasta will soak up the flavor of the stock, and your dish will have even more flavor than usual.
Give potatoes a break
Give your usual potato side dish a little time off and experiment with grains such as barley, quinoa, farro and bulgur. Cook these healthy grains in Knorr® Homestyle Beef Stock to serve with any beef or game main dish. Mushrooms, celery, peppers and onion are perfect additions for flavor and extra nutrition. Use the chicken stock in the same way when you cook pork, poultry or even fish.
Here are more quick tips for using Knorr® Homestyle Stocks:
- Use stock as a base for soups, gravies and stews.
- Add beef stock to meatloaf instead of the liquid called for in your recipe.
- Use stock in stir-fry, veloute and espagnole sauces to be used with meats, poultry and casseroles.
- Use stock instead of water when you steam vegetables.
- Sip a cup of steaming beef or chicken stock rather than coffee or tea for a tasty change from the usual winter warmup.