Meatless Monday: Walnut-apple cheddar pizza
Anytime is a good time for pizza! If you're looking for something a little different and easy to put together for a Meatless Monday meal, consider walnut-apple cheddar pizza.
Who doesn't like pizza, right? Keep in mind that this pizza recipe is a little out of the realm of traditional pizzas, but it makes a great meatless meal! And think about this: With the Super Bowl festivities coming up in the week ahead, this would be a great pizza to serve to football fanatics (and those who are just there for the fun and food)! Test it out before the big day!
Nuts about nutrition
Walnuts are a super healthy food to add to your diet. Consider the crunch! Consider the convenience! About one ounce of walnuts provides enough omega-3s to meet the daily recommended intake for men and women, according to the National Academy of Sciences.
According to Meatless Monday, leaving meat behind from your meals, even once a week, may reduce your risk of chronic preventable conditions like cancer, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and obesity. It's not difficult to do, especially when you find options like this one for pizza of all things!
Walnut-apple cheddar pizza recipe
Yields 8 slices
- 1 (14-inch) prepared pizza dough
- 1-1/4 pounds Granny Smith apples, cored, very thinly sliced
- Juice of one lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to taste)
- Pinch or two of black pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and place your pizza dough on a baking sheet.
- Add the apple slices to a medium-sized bowl and combine well with the lemon, cinnamon, black pepper and salt.
- Add the honey to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 20 seconds to warm it up.
- Drizzle honey over the pizza crust. Evenly spread out the apple slices in a single layer on the crust, overlapping if needed.
- Sprinkle on the chopped walnuts and top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and the crust is lightly browned. Let cool slightly before cutting.
Pizza is one of those meals you don't have think twice about! This pizza recipe is a little different and makes a fun meal!