Sunday Dinner: Celebrate Australia Day with turkey burgers (with Vegemite)
You might not visit specialty grocers often for family dinner ingredients, but it might be a nice change of pace if you’re interested in celebrating Australia Day with a family dinner! Vegemite, popular in Australia, is an added ingredient for these tasty turkey burgers!
What a great time to grab your passport and head to Australia with your family for dinner -- at least in your imaginations! If you're interested in learning about the world around you and exploring cultures through food, why not "head" to Australia? It's perfect timing, too, since Australia Day was just celebrated this past week!
One food product that many Australians enjoy is Vegemite -- ever hear of it? It's a food paste that's often spread with butter on toast, or used in sandwiches made of cheese with lettuce, tomato and other preferred ingredients. It can also be used as a pastry filling ingredient. As a unique addition to sandwiches, Vegemite is added to these turkey burgers for a special taste!
Turkey burgers with Vegemite
Recipe adapted from Kraft Brands
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons Vegemite
- 2 tablespoons sweet rice wine or sherry
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 bread rolls, split in half
- Garnish: Salsa for topping burgers
- Burger toppings: Use what you like best, from shredded lettuce, tomato slices, cheese, pickles or onions
- Preheat your oven to about 360 degrees F. Combine the ground turkey, green onions, carrot Vegemite, vinegar or sherry, sugar and black pepper in a bowl and mix to combine. Divide into four parts and pat to shape into patties.
- Add the oil to a large frying pan over high heat, and cook the patties for about two minutes on each side, just until lightly browned. Transfer the patties to a baking sheet and bake for about eight to 10 minutes, or until cooked all the way through.
- Add the burger patties to the buns and add your preferred toppings. Dollop each burger with the salsa and serve immediately.
Why not try something a little different for an international meal this Sunday? You and your family may love this Australian favorite!