February is full of fun events with food as the (almost) main focus: the Super Bowl, Valentine’s Day and don’t forget Mardi Gras! With that much fun to be had in the month ahead, you’ll definitely want a gluten-free snack that you can easily put together and serve to friends and family.
Sun-Maid Natural Raisins make a great addition to this crunchy, gluten-free popcorn treat! The raisins add sweetness and a bit of a soft touch that pairs nicely with the almonds. Don’t forget that the raisins are a nice way to add more fruit to your diet while cutting back on processed foods and snacks.
This popcorn raisin almond crunch recipe from Sun-Maid is easy to switch up a bit if you prefer different nuts and spices. It definitely fits the bill for a number of upcoming festivities you might be hosting (and makes a great after-school snack, too)!
Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows.com tries to ensure these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Popcorn raisin almond crunch recipe
Yields 12 cups
- 12 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup Sun-Maid Natural Raisins
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted (use any type of nuts you prefer, including pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds)
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Parchment paper
Optional: If you’d like, use ground cinnamon or a different spice, and mix it in when you add the vanilla.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Use a large bowl to combine the popcorn, raisins and almonds; then set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large stock pan, combine the corn syrup, butter, sugar and salt and cook over medium heat. Stir the mixture constantly until the butter melts and sugar dissolves.
- Bring the mixture to a boil (as you constantly stir it) for about five minutes. Once finished, remove from the heat and add in the baking soda and vanilla.
- Toss this mixture with the popcorn mixture and coat the ingredients evenly. Next, spread the popcorn mixture over a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the popcorn for about 10 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove the popcorn from the oven and once it’s cooled, break up the pieces.
- Store the cooled popcorn mixture in an airtight container.
No matter what the month ahead has in store for you, this tasty, crunchy and gluten-free snack will fit right in!