Roasted chicken can be delicious served in a variety of different ways. But serve it up baked in cornbread and you’ve got a dinner no one can resist.
Every so often when I go out for dinner, I’ll see something on the restaurant’s menu that sounds delicious, but I won’t order it because something else that sounds even better catches my eye. And since I can’t do a tasting menu every time I go out to eat, I like to try and recreate those missed opportunities at home. Recently I saw a chicken dish the restaurant called chicken in a cloud. It was chicken and shallots baked in a cornbread crust and it sounded absolutely divine. So I thought why not give it a shot in my own kitchen. The result was just as awesome as I thought it would be.
Cornbread chicken skillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and place in pan. Sear chicken until just brown on the outside, about three minutes. Add the shallots and saute for one more minute.
- While chicken sears, whisk together the corn meal, milk, flour, egg, sugar, corn and vegetable oil until smooth and creamy. Pour the cornmeal mixture over the chicken.
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cornbread is set and the chicken is no longer pink. Serve immediately.
Other cornbread recipes
Bacon cornbread muffins
Cornbread stuffing with apples and golden raisins
Diced ham cornbread