Have you ever tried to get a last-minute dinner reservation on Valentine’s Day? Even if you are lucky enough to snag one, chances are you’ll be eating from a fixed menu at a higher than usual price. Instead, impress your date by staying in and preparing a romantic dinner yourself with this slow cooker recipe.
If you’re eating in for Valentine’s Day, you don’t want to spend the whole night slaving over a hot stove. Plug in the slow cooker, pour a couple glasses of wine and get ready to relax. With this make-ahead entree, you can do just that. Take a little bit of time earlier in the day to get the meal started and when you’re ready to eat, you’ll be treated to chicken so tender it falls off the bone. And the best part is that after your romantic dinner for two, there will be enough left over for lunch the next day.
Slow-cooked chicken and potatoes in white wine sauce recipe
- 8 ounces pearl onions
- 12 ounces fingerling potatoes
- 2-1/2 pounds chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallot
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups dry white wine
- Cut ends off onions and peel. Leave whole. Cut any large potatoes in half to make all similar in size.
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper, and then coat in flour.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil on high. Brown chicken for about two minutes per side. (Do this in two batches to avoid over-crowding the pot.) Remove chicken and reserve.
- Into the same Dutch oven, melt butter and cook shallots until soft. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in chicken broth and white wine, making sure to scrape bottom of pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place onions and potatoes in a large slow cooker; then place chicken on top. Pour white wine mixture over the chicken. Liquid should come about 2/3 of the way up the chicken. Cover and cook on high for five hours.
- Serve chicken with potatoes and onions and sauce spooned over the top.
More Valentine’s Day recipes
Healthy Valentine’s Day treats
Valentine’s Day cookie recipes
Valentine’s Day cocktails
Leave a Comment