Tonight's Dinner: Kale pesto pizza recipe
Pesto is a great sauce over pasta and meat. But use it as a pizza sauce and you've got a healthy dinner the kids won't be able to get enough of.
My family is a big fan of pizza. Usually it's pepperoni, sausage and mushrooms, but every so often, we'll mix things up by adding extra tomatoes or using a new and inventive type of sauce. Recently, Parents magazine had a recipe for a pesto pizza that used pesto and naan for its sauce and crust. My whole family loves naan and I thought the pesto would be a delicious alternative to the standard tomato sauce.
But since I've been trying different pesto recipes and I wanted to guarantee that my son would eat the pizza, I didn't want to use your basic basil pesto. Luckily Stacie over at One Hungry Mama had a kale pesto that sounded amazing, and since I'm attempting to be a little healthier, I decided to give her pesto a try. It was delicious! Topping it with some Italian cheeses and heirloom cherry tomatoes made for a pizza that I not only loved and will make again and again, but had my son begging for seconds as well.
Kale pesto pizza
- 1 bunch kale
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 12 cherry heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 4 pieces garlic naan bread
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place the kale, Parmesan and garlic into a food processor and purée as you pour in the olive oil. Once thick and creamy, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice the naan in half at an angle. Flip one half over and arrange so that the halves form a heart.
- Spread the pesto over the bread. Top with the sliced tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and crust is golden brown. Serve immediately.