If the past few weeks have been windy and frigid, resorting indoors seems like the right thing to do. Why not make a big bowl of beef stew?
This one-pot dish tastes wonderful and fills the air with a beautiful aroma as it simmers for a few hours in your kitchen. The beef and veggies are stewed in beer, fitting for Super Bowl Sunday!
Carrots, potatoes and beef are cooked in beer until soft and tender. The addition of beer makes for a flavorful sauce without adding too many other ingredients. Simmered for a few hours, make this beef stew recipe on a lazy Sunday or for your big Super Bowl party.
Hearty beef and beer stew recipe
- 2 pounds stew beef
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 can beer (12-16 ounces)
- 2-3 cups beef stock
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 4 carrots roughly chopped
- 4 potatoes roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parsley for garnish
- Over medium-high heat, place oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Brown beef for a minute and set aside on a plate.
- To the pot, add onions and cook for two to three minutes; then stir in garlic and cook for a minute. Pour in beer and two cups beef stock (save the other cup for later if needed). Mix in tomatoes, tomato paste, paprika, salt and pepper.
- Add beef back to the pot. Cover and turn heat down to low. Simmer for two to 2-1/2 hours. Add more stock if sauce is too thick.
- Mix in carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for another hour, stirring halfway. Sauce will become thick. Add more salt and pepper if needed. Serve in bowls and garnish with parsley.